International Student Welfare in Australia

  • All international students are required to have oversea health cover (OSHC) – for more information click here (link to the ‘health insurance’ section of our website).
  • Students should identify the closest provider that accepts their chosen health cover, so that in an emergency, you will know where to go
  • Students should also carry their OSHC membership card with them at all times, in case of emergency

In Australia, if there’s a life-threatening emergency, call 000 (zero zero zero). It’s a free call, even from your mobile. An operator will answer and will ask which of the following services you need:

  • Police
  • Fire
  • Ambulance
Australian Laws
  • Smoking is banned in all indoor dining areas, enclosed public places, workplaces and shared spaces
  • Smoking is banned within 5 metres of schools and entrances to buildings
  • It is illegal to sell tobacco or alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 years
Sun Safety:

In Queensland the levels of ultraviolet radiation UVR) from the sun are high enough to damage your skin all year round, so it is important to use the five recommended sun protection methods whenever you are outside.

  1. Slip on a shirt
  2. Slop on broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen
  3. Slap on a broad-brimmed hat
  4. Seek shade
  5. Slide on some sunglasses
Beach Safety: